Sherbrooke is a station on the Orange Line of Montreal's Metro. It is named after the nearby rue Sherbrooke, which itself was named after Sir John Coape Sherbrooke, who served as governor-general of British North America from 1816-1818.
This station has two entrances, both integrated into buildings (one of which is an apartment). The station passes underneath rue Berri, with entrances located on both sides of the street. The entrances themselves are rather plain and lead down to the mezzanine, one level below.
Once at the mezzanine, the ceiling turns into a nice purple grill, covering the lights found within. There is some retail located on the mezzanine level.
Heading down to the platforms, the ceiling changes to become a light beige colour along with the tiles on the walls. Purple accent strips are scattered along the platforms reaching from floor to ceiling. There are also black marble or granite columns in the central area, which is quite large and wide.
The seating along the platforms is provided by purple chairs, that partially resemble the seats on the older MR-73 metro trains in shape and size.
The prominent use of the colour purple in the station, from the ceiling grill on the mezzanine to the purple stripes along the platforms and the purple seating, gives Sherbrooke station a signature theme and colour to call its own.
There are several artworks in Sherbrooke station. The first is entitled "Horizons" by Mario Mercola, which is a circular mural in orange porphyry, helping to brighten the exit leading to the Place du Cercle tower. The second is entitled "Mosaic" by Gabriel Bastien & Andrea Vau and is a Venetian marble depicting the founding banquet of the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste. The third art piece entitled "Rivières", once again by Mario Merola, is a mural done in brick and is a rhythmic pattern of brown bricks.
STATION FACTS AND MAP
- Opening Date: October 14, 1966
- Line: 2
- Previous Station: Berri-UQAM
- Following Station: Mont-Royal
- Entrances: 2